Originally called The Church of the Sacred Heart, the church was opened and blessed on 13th July 1958.
Sadly, the last Mass was held just ten years later on 28th January 1968, and the property then became a private residence.
To start at the beginning, the first Catholic Mass at Mena Creek was celebrated in 1928 by Fr P Bolger OSA., and was attended by just 18 settlers.
In the early 1950s, the Catholic community in Mena Creek held fundraising events and from the proceeds and additional private donations they were able to build a Catholic Church - The Church of the Sacred Heart.
A priest came to Mena Creek regularly to hold services; however services ceased when a priest was no longer available to visit the remote community.
The former church became a private residence, before being converted into a B and B as it is today.
As nearby Paronella Park was founded by Jose Paronella, who settled at Mena Creek in 1914, and opened the still-existing Paronella Park in 1928, it's believed the church may have some Spanish links due to Jose Paronella immigrating from Spain.
Copyright © 2022 The Old Church - All Rights Reserved.